Sponsorizzato

WHO chief asks countries to push Washington to reconsider its withdrawal

0
1K

FILE - Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), speaks to journalists during a press conference at the World Health Organization (WHO) headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, on April 6, 2023. (Martial Trezzini/Keystone via AP, File)

 The World Health Organization chief asked global leaders to lean on Washington to reverse President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw from the U.N. health agency, insisting in a closed-door meeting with diplomats last week that the U.S. will miss out on critical information about global disease outbreaks.

But countries also pressed WHO at a key budget meeting last Wednesday about how it might cope with the exit of its biggest donor, according to internal meeting materials obtained by The Associated Press. A German envoy, Bjorn Kummel, warned: “The roof is on fire, and we need to stop the fire as soon as possible.”

For 2024-2025, the U.S. is WHO’s biggest donor by far, putting in an estimated $988 million, roughly 14% of WHO’s $6.9 billion budget.

AfriPrime App link:  FREE to download...

https://www.amazon.com/Africircle-AfriPrime/dp/B0D2M3F2JT

A budget document presented at the meeting showed WHO’s health emergencies program has a “heavy reliance” on American cash. “Readiness functions” in WHO’s Europe office were more than 80% reliant on the $154 million the U.S. contributes.

The document said U.S. funding “provides the backbone of many of WHO's large-scale emergency operations,” covering up to 40%. It said responses in the Middle East, Ukraine and Sudan were at risk, in addition to hundreds of millions of dollars lost by polio-eradication and HIV programs.

The U.S. also covers 95% of WHO's tuberculosis work in Europe and more than 60% of TB efforts in Africa, the Western Pacific and at the agency headquarters in Geneva, the document said.

At a separate private meeting on the impact of the U.S. exit last Wednesday, WHO finance director George Kyriacou said if the agency spends at its current rate, the organization would “be very much in a hand-to-mouth type situation when it comes to our cash flows” in the first half of 2026. He added the current rate of spending is “something we're not going to do," according to a recording obtained by the AP.

Since Trump’s executive order, WHO has attempted to withdraw funds from the U.S. for past expenses, Kyriacou said, but most of those “have not been accepted.”

The U.S. also has yet to settle its owed contributions to WHO for 2024, pushing the agency into a deficit, he added.

WHO's executive board, made up of 34 high-level envoys including many national health ministers, was expected to discuss budget matters during its latest session, which opens Monday and is set to run through Feb. 11.

WHO's leader wants to bring back the US

Last week, officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention were instructed to stop working with WHO immediately.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told the attendees at the budget meeting that the agency is still providing U.S. scientists with some data — though it isn't known what data.

“We continue to give them information because they need it,” Tedros said, urging member countries to contact U.S officials. “We would appreciate it if you continue to push and reach out to them to reconsider.”

Among other health crises, WHO is currently working to stop outbreaks of Marburg virus in Tanzania, Ebola in Uganda and mpox in Congo.

Tedros rebutted Trump’s three stated reasons for leaving the agency in the executive order signed on Jan. 20 — Trump's first day back in office. In the order, the president said WHO mishandled the COVID-19 pandemic that began in China, failed to adopt needed reforms and that U.S. membership required “unfairly onerous payments."

Tedros said WHO alerted the world in January 2020 about the potential dangers of the coronavirus and has made dozens of reforms since — including efforts to expand its donor base.

Tedros also said he believed the U.S. departure was “not about the money” but more about the “void” in outbreak details and other critical health information that the United States would face in the future.

“Bringing the U.S. back will be very important," he told meeting attendees. "And on that, I think all of you can play a role.”

Kummel, a senior advisor on global health in Germany's health ministry, described the U.S. exit as “the most extensive crisis WHO has been facing in the past decades.”

He also asked: “What concrete functions of WHO will collapse if the funding of the U.S. is not existent anymore?”

Officials from countries including Bangladesh and France asked what specific plans WHO had to deal with the loss of U.S. funding and wondered which health programs would be cut as a result.

The AP obtained a document shared among some WHO senior managers that laid out several options, including a proposal that each major department or office might be slashed in half by the end of the year.

WHO declined to comment on whether Tedros had privately asked countries to lobby on the agency's behalf.

Experts say US benefits from WHO

Some experts said that while the departure of the U.S. was a major crisis, it might also serve as an opportunity to reshape global public health.

Less than 1% of the U.S. health budget goes to WHO, said Matthew Kavanagh, director of Georgetown University’s Center for Global Health Policy and Politics. In exchange, the U.S. gets “a wide variety of benefits to Americans that matter quite a bit,” he said. That includes intelligence about disease epidemics globally and virus samples for vaccines.

Kavanagh also said the WHO is "massively underfunded,” describing the contributions from rich countries as “peanuts.”

WHO emergencies chief Dr. Michael Ryan said at the meeting on the impact of the U.S. withdrawal last week that losing the U.S. was “terrible,” but member states had “tremendous capacity to fill in those gaps.”

Ryan told WHO member countries: “The U.S. is leaving a community of nations. It’s essentially breaking up with you.”

Kavanagh doubted the U.S. would be able to match WHO's ability to gather details about emerging health threats globally, and said its exit from the agency “will absolutely lead to worse health outcomes for Americans.”

“How much worse remains to be seen,” Kavanagh said.

AfriPrime App link:  FREE to download...

https://www.amazon.com/Africircle-AfriPrime/dp/B0D2M3F2JT

Sponsorizzato
Cerca
Sponsorizzato
Categorie
Leggi tutto
Altre informazioni
探索悅刻電子菸主機:relx 5代與6代如何重塑吸煙體驗
引言 隨著電子菸市場的日益成長,各大品牌紛紛推出各式各樣的產品,relx 作為領先市場的品牌之一,憑藉其卓越的技術和不斷創新的設計,已經成為許多吸煙者和潛在戒煙者的首選。從relx...
By pertend 2025-04-08 07:12:31 0 861
Food
Stain Remover Products Market Opportunity, Challenge, Drivers, Restraint, Trend, Demand and Global Business Growth by 2029
"Stain Remover Products Market Increased awareness of a healthy and sanitary lifestyle is...
By foodieshbt 2023-06-30 10:23:40 0 4K
Health
Rediscover Your Confidence with a Mommy Makeover at Theaesculpir
Pregnancy and motherhood are life-changing journeys, but they often leave behind physical changes...
By aluthra674 2025-05-26 15:31:52 0 1K
Shopping
The Rise of Spider Hoodie A Game-Changer in Street Fashion
The street fashion is dynamic and the Spider Hoodie is one of those prominent pieces that has...
By username531 2025-03-15 16:54:49 0 2K
Altre informazioni
Artificial Lightweight Aggregate Market 2024-2032 Report |Size, Growth, Share, Trends and End Users
"Artificial Lightweight Aggregate Market" provides in-depth analysis on the market status of...
By rohitkumar001325 2024-02-20 11:31:54 0 3K
Sponsorizzato
google-site-verification: google037b30823fc02426.html