North Korea restoring border guard posts amid heightened regional tensions

0
4χλμ.

North Korea is restoring previously dismantled border guard posts amid heightened tensions in the region following the country’s recent spy satellite launch.

South Korea’s Defense Ministry said Monday it discovered North Korea building guard posts at border sites and deploying troops and heavy weaponry, the Yonhap News Agency reported. The news agency said ministry officials shared photos of North Korea troops installing the guard posts.

Under a 2018 agreement, the two Koreas dismantled or disarmed 11 guard posts located inside the heavily guarded border, known as the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). The agreement also created a no-fly zone at the border and a ban on aerial reconnaissance and live-fire exercises.

The deal, which left South Korea with 50 guard posts and North Korea with 150, was intended to curb front-line military confrontation, though it could be at risk following North Korea’s spy satellite launch last week.

North Korea launched the reconnaissance satellite, called the Malligyong-1, atop a Chollima-1 rocket from the country’s main launch center last week, according to state-run news agency Korean Central News Agency (KCNA). Pyongyang claimed the launch was successful after previous failed attempts earlier this year.

Last week, South Korea’s parliament voted to suspend the 2018 military reduction agreement in the wake of the launch, allowing for restored surveillance activities at the DMZ.

South Korea reportedly said the suspension was “a minimum defensive measure,” since the launch showed the North’s strengthened monitoring of the South and intention to improve missiles.

North Korea railed against the suspension, claiming it would put weapons at the border and will not follow the 2018 deal.

While North Korea has advanced its nuclear and missile capabilities in recent years, it had not, until last week, deployed any major capabilities in space. In May, North Korea’s first launch failed after the rocket fell into the ocean, and a second attempt in August failed due to a technical issue.

North Korea’s national space agency said the space launch was justified because the U.S. and its allies have already militarized space. Both the U.S. and Japan condemned last week’s launch.

Προωθημένο
Αναζήτηση
Προωθημένο
Κατηγορίες
Διαβάζω περισσότερα
άλλο
Experience Grandeur Living at Sobha International City, Sector 109: Spacious 4 & 5 BHK Apartments and Villas
Sobha International City, located in Sector 109, Gurugram, presents a golden opportunity to...
από jyotisinghal 2025-01-15 07:11:44 0 2χλμ.
άλλο
Enhance Customer Experience: Incorporating Interactive Elements into Your Restaurant Menu Board
In today's fast-paced, technology-driven world, creating an...
από nentousa 2024-06-25 06:54:39 0 3χλμ.
άλλο
Inexpensive and high-quality painting services in Dubai for homes & offices at Urban Mop
If you are contemplating anything from a powder coat for the walls to an extreme makeover of your...
από urbanmopdubai1 2025-02-19 06:56:24 0 2χλμ.
Sports
Série D
Série D 2026: Quais times já garantiram vaga? Veja   Ina Dia...
από khlhjhk22 2025-03-18 09:39:53 0 1χλμ.
άλλο
Kanban Software Market Size 2024-2032
Kanban Software Market Overview The Kanban software market is poised for substantial...
από rasika 2024-12-23 09:36:24 0 2χλμ.
Προωθημένο
google-site-verification: google037b30823fc02426.html