Patrocinado

North Korea restoring border guard posts amid heightened regional tensions

0
3KB

North Korea is restoring previously dismantled border guard posts amid heightened tensions in the region following the country’s recent spy satellite launch.

South Korea’s Defense Ministry said Monday it discovered North Korea building guard posts at border sites and deploying troops and heavy weaponry, the Yonhap News Agency reported. The news agency said ministry officials shared photos of North Korea troops installing the guard posts.

Under a 2018 agreement, the two Koreas dismantled or disarmed 11 guard posts located inside the heavily guarded border, known as the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). The agreement also created a no-fly zone at the border and a ban on aerial reconnaissance and live-fire exercises.

The deal, which left South Korea with 50 guard posts and North Korea with 150, was intended to curb front-line military confrontation, though it could be at risk following North Korea’s spy satellite launch last week.

North Korea launched the reconnaissance satellite, called the Malligyong-1, atop a Chollima-1 rocket from the country’s main launch center last week, according to state-run news agency Korean Central News Agency (KCNA). Pyongyang claimed the launch was successful after previous failed attempts earlier this year.

Last week, South Korea’s parliament voted to suspend the 2018 military reduction agreement in the wake of the launch, allowing for restored surveillance activities at the DMZ.

South Korea reportedly said the suspension was “a minimum defensive measure,” since the launch showed the North’s strengthened monitoring of the South and intention to improve missiles.

North Korea railed against the suspension, claiming it would put weapons at the border and will not follow the 2018 deal.

While North Korea has advanced its nuclear and missile capabilities in recent years, it had not, until last week, deployed any major capabilities in space. In May, North Korea’s first launch failed after the rocket fell into the ocean, and a second attempt in August failed due to a technical issue.

North Korea’s national space agency said the space launch was justified because the U.S. and its allies have already militarized space. Both the U.S. and Japan condemned last week’s launch.

Patrocinado
Pesquisar
Patrocinado
Categorias
Leia mais
Health
https://www.facebook.com/LiveWellCBDMaleEnhancementGummies/
LiveWell CBD Male Enhancement Gummies are a natural dietary supplement designed to support...
Por ronaldreaganofficial 2023-06-30 06:32:39 0 3KB
Food
Find the Best Wedding Caterers in Faridabad | Delicious Food & Impeccable Service
A wedding is a special day, and good food plays a big role in making it unforgettable. Choosing...
Por Sloshout 2025-02-04 06:31:11 0 1KB
News
China’s ‘Flying Cars’ Could Be Launched By End Of 2024; Its Firms Eye A Massive $1.5 Trillion Global Market
China is leveraging its skillset in electric car technologies to seize a substantial share of the...
Por Ikeji 2024-04-24 17:40:19 0 2KB
Outro
Jewish diaspora mourns attack on Israel, but carries on by celebrating holidays
The Jewish diaspora awoke to horror Saturday in what was supposed to be among the most festive...
Por Ikeji 2023-10-08 03:01:25 0 3KB
Outro
Global Trends in the Open Source Database Market – 2032 Forecast
The global Open Source Database Market is on an impressive growth trajectory, fueled by...
Por dataintelo1 2025-05-20 12:35:40 0 1KB
Patrocinado
google-site-verification: google037b30823fc02426.html